6th – 8th November 2019
VENUE: Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute, Kolkata
The International Science Film Festival of India (ISFFI) seeks to promote science popularization among citizens and aims at attracting talented young filmmakers and science enthusiasts. Science film is an effective tool for science communication to foster and create an excitement of science amongst people at large; it also helps inculcate a scientific temper among audience thereby shaping the analytical thinking, a prerequisite for the inclusive development of the nation.
The film festival offers an opportunity for students and other participants to get involved with the process and improve their understanding of various feats in science and technology. Film based communication is an attractive and dynamic facet of engagement with different audiences due to its unique synthesis of multimedia systems including audio, video, animation, and graphics, etc. The initiative recognizes the effort and contribution of film producers in the specialized areas of science and technology and motivates them to develop this unique profession of science film making with innovative quality content especially relevant to our country.
Objectives of ISFFI:
- To recognize the effort and contribution of film-makers and motivate them to develop this unique profession of science communication with innovative quality content.
- To promote Science with audio-visual media among citizens.
- To offer an opportunity to students and budding filmmakers to get involved with the process of Science filmmaking.
The salient features of the International Science Film Festival of India are as follows:
- Internationally acclaimed and awards winning foreign films and Indian films on science, health and environment will be screened during the festival.
- A competition for Indian independent professional and student filmmakers will be organised. Short films / documentary films / animation films have been invited on the following theme: “Research, Innovation & Science Empowering Nation.”
- Shortlisted films will be screened during the film festival and a Jury will select films for IISF Science Film Awards and Jury Awards in independent and students’ categories. One of the facets of its uniqueness is the opportunity for people from many walks of life including professionals involved in film based communication and amateurs to showcase their efforts. The other aspect is the opportunity for the emerging and established enthusiasts to interact the people with significant credentials to gather useful insights on tools, techniques, and impacts of communication.
- A round table conference on Science Films will be organised. Eminent science and environment filmmakers and science communicators will participate in the conference.
- Master classes on various aspects of cinema and science communication will be organised by eminent science filmmakers.
CALL FOR ENTRIES
Last date to submit Online entries: 4th September 2019
Last date to submit Hard Copies: 7th October 2019
- Competitive Categories & Awards (and who can participate?)
Theme for competitive categories: “Research, Innovation & Science Empowering Nation”
- Independent filmmakers (Indian nationals)
First Prize – 1,00,000/-
Second Prize – 75,000/-
Third Prize – 50,000/-
Jury Awards (2 nos.) – 25,000/- each
Duration of the film: up to 40 minutes
- College / school students (Indian nationals)
First Prize – 75,000/-
Second Prize – 50,000/-
Third Prize – 25,000/-
Jury Awards (2 nos.) – 10,000/- each
Duration of the film: up to 20 minutes
- Independent filmmakers (Indian nationals)
- Non Competitive Category: (for foreign film makers)
Films from other countries (only for screening) – upto 40 minutes
- Theme for non-competitive categories: Science, Technology, Environment & Health
Non-competitive entries can be sent through we-transfer, you tube link (with password) or any other online platform on email id: email@example.com, please mention the following in the subject column in all email correspondences: “ISFFI 2019 – (Title of your film)”. Please send synopsis of film/s, name and contact details of director and producer.
- Terms & Conditions for competitive entries (for Indian nationals only):-
- Films produced ONLY between October 2018 and September 2019 will be entertained. Films submitted in earlier ISFFI will not be accepted.
- Applicant can submit maximum two entries in one category. Separate entry form is required for each entry.
- Films produced in languages other than English must be sub-titled in English.
- Captions and credits must be clear, legible and must be within the safe areas.
- will have right to telecast and screen the awarded / shortlisted films as and when required for educational purposes.
- reserve the right to reject any entry without assigning any reason.
- can change the category of the film without any explanation if the film is not found suitable for the category indicated by the applicant.
- It is essential to fill all the columns in the entry form, failing which the entry is liable to be rejected.
- The award money of all the awards will be distributed equally between the producer (copy right holder) and the director. Trophies will go to the director and certificates will be awarded to both the producer and director.
- The film should not violate the copyright / intellectual property law. In case such a violation is reported at a later date the awardee/s will
- be liable for any legal action.
- have to return the cash prize, trophy and certificate.
- be barred in future from participating in the IISF competition.
- How to participate
- Please read carefully terms & condition of the festival before filling the form.
- Only online form will be accepted.
- Fill one entry form for each film.
- It is mandatory to send the printed copy of completely filled online form with the following enclosures in pen drive or DVD to:
IISF – Film Festival Directorate,
Vigyan Prasar, A – 50, Institutional Area,
Sector – 62, Noida – 201309, India
(by post / courier / by hand) on or before 7th October 2019
- Enclosures to be sent by post / courier / by hand
- Pen drive/DVD containing :
- Copy of the film in mp4 format.
- Synopsis of the film in 200 – 250 words (in MS doc.file)
- Script of the film (in MS Word doc.file)
- Five still photographs of the film (jpeg format)
- One photograph of the director (jpeg format)
- Printed copy of (i) the online form and (ii) synopsis of the film (iii)Certificate from the Principal/Director/HOD (Only for Student’s Category)
- Pen drive/DVD containing :
- In addition to above-mentioned enclosures (to be sent by post / courier/ by hand), competitive and non-competitive entries can be sent through we-transfer, you tube link (with password) or any other online platform on email id: firstname.lastname@example.org, please mention the following in the subject column in all email correspondences: “ISFFI 2019 – (Title of your film)”.
- Screening and result
- A jury will be constituted to judge the entries.
- Nominated entries would be announced during October 2019.
- Nominated entries will be screened during the festival.
- Two representatives from the crew of the each nominated entry will be invited to attend the festival.
- AC III train fare (to & fro) from shortest route, accommodation and food will be provided to two outstation members of the nominated films of both competitive categories. No TA will be paid to local members.
- For outstation non-nominated participants a moderate accommodation and food will be provided subject to availability. No travel will be paid.
- If award is shared by 2 or more persons / organisations, the amount will be equally divided.
- Organisers reserve the right to modify the rules and conditions including number and amount of awards.
- Science film screening of competitive entries / non-competitive entries and master classes on science films will be organized during the event.
Coordinating agencies: Vigyan Prasar, CSIR-NISCAIR and SRFTI, Kolkata